Thursday, 7 January 2016

Saying Farewell to '15




I thought about writing one of those posts that summed up everything I've accomplished this last year and all my highlights of 2015, but when I sat down and starting to really think about it I realized there was just too much for me to talk about. I've had my ups and downs like everyone does every year but this year especially I feel has been a big year that involved a lot of new experiences and personal growth. So at the end of my long and dull thought process I concluded that I just simply couldn't be bothered to write it all down, plus who would really want to listen to me getting all pretentious about what a wonderful a year I've had and how much I've improved as a person... Does the idea not make you feel a little sick? And the negative stuff? Well, I always prefer to just ignore that so I guess I'll always say I've had a great year unless there's a particularly shit December hanging over me.  No hate to anyone who writes those kind of posts, as I do genuinely enjoy reading them but it's just not for me. Plus it seemed a little irrelevant to this project as I only started blogging back at the end of August, so maybe I'll rethink that idea for 2017.

With that idea firmly planted in the waste paper basket I was left wandering what I could do to embrace the New Years theme, I feel I owe you all after my Christmas failures... So fashion or makeup looks were out the window as I've already bored you to death with wish-lists and I don't have a decent camera with me at home because I'm useless plus New Years Eve is long gone now (although I do hope to experiment with those kinda things in the future!). New Years resolutions? HA! What a joke. I'll never stick to them, in fact I've had the same one of quitting smoking for the last 3 years and evidently *puff* *puff* that hasn't even gone very well. Guess it would be pretty hypocritical of me to come up with any just for the sole purpose of a blog post. Wait a second, maybe not resolutions as such but goals? Yeah, I have a lot of them, so why not share them with you all?
Ready? Set, and of we go!


To Travel and Explore both Near and Far
I know I am not alone in this, there's a hell of a lot of us that suffer from wanderlust. In the modern day travelling seems like it should be really easy, but in reality that's seldom the case. There's a lot of bad stuff going on in the world at the moment, well there always is, but the current climate makes being a tourist pretty risky business. So I am fully aware that this is something I might have to be a ickle bit patient with. Luckily I'm not just eager to explore those exotic and tropical horizons but also those that are a lot closer to home.. well kinda. I've been at university in Cardiff for almost 3 years and there's so much of the city and it's surroundings that I've never explored. I've never even been to the annual Christmas wonderland, and as I don't intend to be living there next year probably never will. Now although I can live with that, there are other things I might not be so happy with leaving Cardiff/Wales without seeing/doing or whatever verb is appropriate to the event. So I'm going to get off my butt and instead of spending lots of lazy weekends inside watching Netflix wasting my youth, I'm going to do my utmost to get out and have little adventures whether it be Breacon Beacons, Barry Island or somewhere I'm yet to hear of, there's a lot to do. Then there's the rest of the UK. I have never been to Scotland, Ireland or any where North or further West than Cheltenham. So I plan to sort out some weekends away this year and stop making excuses for me not seeing more of the world when there's enough of it on my door step!

Ticket for one, please
This one kinda ties in a little with the one above, because although I have a fair few dear dear friends, a wonderful and supportive boyfriend and amazing family not all my interests and wants are going to overlap with theirs all the time. I am more than happy with my own company but tend to feel ashamed about going out and doing things by myself. I can't be alone in this, and it's so stupid. Why am I missing out on doing the things I want to do just because I don't always have someone who either has the same interests as me or can afford to do the things I want to do right now. I sick of waiting, and missing out on the opportunities to do things because I'm too embarrassed to go it alone. Obviously there are certain things like travelling abroad I might not want to do by myself, but if it's a day trip to Barry Island or a ticket to the theatre from now on I vow to try my utmost to be okay with flying solo.

Decide on a Career
This is a big one, and probably a pretty important thing too, although I doubt it'll ever be my priority because I suck at priorities, I mean look at me I'm writing this instead of getting stuck into my dissertation or revising for exams.. Bad move, Laura. Oh well, I'm quite comfortable with the fact that I am and will always be (because I'm too lazy to change) a human disaster. I'm 21, in my final year at uni and I still have no idea what I really want to do with my life. I have a lot of dreams, a huge number of fantasies but when that dreaded question of 'What are you going to do after Uni?' comes up I die inside. Stare blankly for a couple minutes and then might mutter something incoherent about teaching or journalism before swiftly moving the conversation on to a much less depressing topic. So  yeah, over the next year I plan to get as much experience as possible in all the fields I'm interested to and then maybe finally somehow arrive at a decision of where I want to be and where I want to go in the more immediate future.

Blogging 
Blogging is something still very new to me and I know that I've got a hell of a lot to learn. I'm really enjoying the whole process so far and this is something that I want to keep up and hopefully grow. At the moment, I still don't know where I'm really going with this blog, what my niche is or what kinda posts I really want to do, so please bear with my possible experiments.

Graduate
This is something that's going to happen whether I like it or not, time ticks on and there's nothing we can do to stop it. It's my final year at university, and I just want to finish it off on a high. I've faced a lot in the last 2 years and to be honest there were times I didn't think I would make it this far but here I am not feeling ready to step over that finish line just yet. Guess I just got to get over that fact and hit the ground running, and hope to come out with the best possible grade I can achieve!

Go Vegan and Completely Cruelty Free
This is something I've already been working towards and am pretty much halfway there! So kinda a cheat, but I'm continuing down this path and hoping to carry on progressing. I've already talked about this quite a lot so don't want to repeat myself! (Cruelty-Free and Vegan product guide over here!)


Be Better At Looking at Myself 
I am fully aware I can be my own worst enemy sometimes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this tendency. I can be too hard on myself, skip meals, put myself down and put other people's needs too far in front of my own, to name a few of the things I slip up on. So one of my goals for the upcoming year is to become my own best friend, give myself that positive boost when I need it, let myself have those extra 5 minutes in bed every now and again, make sure I get that 5 a day etc etc. Because as wonderful as my family, friends and boyfriend are and as much as they look after me, they're not always going to be around, I mean I'm currently living 200 miles away from most of them most of the time. I want to be self-sufficient (probably not the best word). As happy as I am in my own company, there's some more 'me' stuff to work on - feels like it never ends, huh?


So I hope you enjoyed the little round up of some of the things I hope to accomplish over the next 12 months. If you're not aware January is a month of may campaigns such as Dry January, Veganary and Mental Wellness Month, things I aims to be addressing over the course of this month, that is between relentless revision and essay writing so look forward to a lot more from me!

Wishing everyone the best 2016! Happy belated new year.


If you enjoyed this post then have a read of:

2 comments:

  1. Love this post, it's super interesting and a fab way to find out more about you! I am a new fan of your blog and I wish you all of the best with your blog

    Love Olivia | www.dungarees-and-donuts.co.uk xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Always great to get feedback! Means a lot especially as I've been a silent follower of yours for a long while! :)

    ReplyDelete